Rural Medicine inpatient training is designed to enable residents to achieve the knowledge, skills and attitudes of competent general internists working in a rural setting. Through the inpatient rotation at Stephens County Hospital (SCH), senior residents are expected to gain proficiency in the diagnosis and management of inpatient medical illnesses and their associated care needs. Learning occurs through direct patient care.
Stephens County Hospital
For the past 80 years, Stephens County Hospital has been a trusted name in the community, striving for excellence and delivering professional and compassionate care. Our dedicated staff of approximately 475 employees has a heart for healthcare and realizes how precious the gift of good health can be.
Stephens County Hospital is a 96-bed acute care hospital located in Toccoa, Georgia. We are nestled in the beautiful foothills of Northeast Georgia where our family-oriented community offers many cultural and civic opportunities as well as numerous outdoor activities. Toccoa is also the home of the Currahee Military Museum highlighting the historic Camp Toccoa on Currahee Mountain. Camp Toccoa is where 18,000 soldiers of the 501st, 506th, 511th, and 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment trained during World War II.
Stephens County Hospital is a member of the Georgia Hospital Association, American Hospital Association and Georgia Alliance of Community Hospitals. Stephens County Hospital is fully accredited by the Joint Commission, the nation’s premier healthcare monitoring agency.
Toccoa is the county seat of Stephens County, Georgia, and is considered the “Heart of Northeast Georgia.” The city is progressive, friendly and welcoming.
Founded in 1873, Toccoa is about 90 miles northeast of Atlanta and about 50 miles from Athens. According to Census 2010 figures, Toccoa has 8,491 residents. The total population of Stephens County in 2010 was 26,175.
Toccoa has earned numerous awards, including:
- An All-American City by National Municipal League
- Governor’s All-Georgia Community by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs
- Toccoa Stephens 2000-International City Management Association Award for Excellence in Citizen Participation
- Georgia Certified City by Georgia Department of Community Affairs
- Georgia Exceptional Main Street designation
- Georgia Chamber of Commerce “Stay and See Georgia” award
- Affiliate of Keep America Beautiful
- Official Tree City USA designation
- Georgia Municipal Association City Innovations Achievement awards
- American Public Gas Association Marketing award winner
- American Public Works Association award winner
- Georgia Water and Pollution Control Association Public Education award winner
- Georgia Downtown Association Awards Winner
- 2018 PlanFirst Designation
- 2018 Rural Zone Designation
- 2019 Live, Work, Play Designation
Toccoa’s range of services attracts and supports a diverse economic base of 60 industries and more than 400 businesses and retail outlets. Stephens County serves as the major employment and retail center for a five-county area.
Toccoa is a regional medical center for a five-county area. Medical facilities include the fully equipped Stephens County Hospital with 24-hour emergency services and a managed-care center, the Northeast Georgia Physicians Group – Toccoa Clinic, with a full range of diagnostic services, as well as other numerous physician specialties and family practitioners
1270 Prince Avenue
Athens, GA 30606 / USA