Athens is an amazing city with so much to offer you during your residency. It is a city bustling with life from its downtown energy to the rural farmlands. Whether you are looking for a busy downtown scene, outdoor activities in nature, or an abundance of sports events, Athens is a place you will love to call home.
Athens is a vibrant college town, home to the University of Georgia, America’s first state-chartered university and the birthplace of the American system of public higher education. At the heart of Athens is a downtown packed with live music venues, bars, restaurants and eclectic shops.
Live music has been a staple in the Athens social scene since the late 70’s. The Athens music sound has exploded and given rise to countless famous bands such as R.E.M., The B-52’s, Drive-By Truckers and Widespread Panic, who have all gone on to achieve international acclaim. Live music is always thriving in Athens, with regular performances at venues throughout the city such as the Georgia Theatre, The Foundry, The Classic Center, and the 40 Watt Club.
If live music isn’t your idea of a good time on a Friday night, fear not, Athens is also home to an eclectic array of casual and fine dining restaurants. A food scene truly created with ‘a little something for everyone’ in mind. Available cuisines range from traditional Soul Food to Nuevo Southern, and branch out into an exciting range of food from around the globe; Thai, Indian, Korean, Latin American, and Mediterranean are only a few of the cultural foods available throughout the Classic City. For the fans of craft beer, Athens has an abundance of it. Breweries such as Terrapin Beer Co., Creature Comforts, Southern Brewing, Akademia, and Athentic Brewing offer a wide range of craft beers to choose from and outdoor space to hang out with friends.
There are many areas in Athens that provide a venue to walk, run, bike, skate, picnic, kayak, fish, and hike. The State Botanical Garden of Georgia, Sandy Creek Park, Oconee Rivers Greenway, Bishop Park, and UGA Intramural Trails are just a few of the places you can go in Athens to get fresh air. Beyond the city limits, there are many hiking trails within an hour drive that provide beautiful scenes of the Georgia Blue Ridge mountains.
Athens, GA will satisfy you with its rich history, endless restaurants and bars, variety of outdoor activities, museums, passionate sports scene and more. If you choose the Piedmont Athens Regional for your residency, you can be sure that your life outside of the hospital will be one filled with rich experiences and memories that will last a lifetime.
- “Best college football tailgate locations for 2019,” #3, 247sports.com, August 17, 2019
- “Stunning alternative cities you’ve never thought to visit but really should,” BestTravelTale.com, August 7, 2019
- UGA is #1 “Greatest Mascot in College Football History,” Sports Illustrated, August 12, 2019
- “College Football’s Greatest College Towns,” #2, Sports Illustrated, August 12, 2019
- 15 Under-the-Radar Places to Visit Before they get Popular, CheatSheet, June 19, 2019
- Thor drinks Creature Comforts! How a local Athens craft beer ended up in Avengers: End Game.
- “‘Avengers: End Game’ gives Athens, Georgia craft beer some screen time,” USA Today, May 8, 2019
- Thor and an IPA: How Craft Beer Caught Marvel’s Attention, CraftBeer.com, May 1, 2019
- How Creature Comforts Beer Scored That Starring Role in ‘Avengers: Endgame,’ EldridgeATL.com, April 30,2019
- How Creature Comforts became Thor’s beer of choice in Avengers: Endgame, AtlantaMagazine.com, May 1, 2019
- Best Places to Retire in 2019,” Forbes, April 23, 2019
- “9 Georgia Getaways Perfect for a Girls’ Trip,” Southern Living, April 2019
- 40 Watt Club, “10 Best Small Music Venues in the US,” Uproxx, April 3, 2019
- “6 Best Southern Destinations for Art Lovers,” This is My South, April 2019
- Terrapin Brewery, “MLB Ballpark Beer Guide,” Sports Illustrated, March 2019
- “25 Best Romantic Getaways for Couples,” Vacation Idea, March 2019
- “Coolest City to Visit in Each State,” The Discoverer Blog, February 2019
- The Expat, “The South’s Best New Bars,” Garden and Gun, February-March 2019
- Creature Comforts, “Best Brewery in Every State” [GA], Thrillist.com, Nov. 26, 2018
- “Top 10 Bleisure Travel Destinations,” Carrentals.com, Nov. 12, 2018
- “The South’s Best College Towns 2018,” Southern Living
- “The South’s Best Food Cities 2018,” Southern Living
- “#1 College Football Town in America,” HeroSports, August 30, 2018
- “Best Places to Retire in Each State,” Athens is a “perennial favorite,” Forbes, Aug. 28, 2018
- Spotlight on Athens, Georgia, LoveExploring, September 3, 2018
- The World Famous: “21 Best Bars in America 2018” Esquire, May 30. 2018
- “10 Under-the-Radar US Travel Destinations” TheTravel.com, July 26, 2018
- “The 16 Most loyal Fan bases in College Football” (#4), TheSpun.com, May 1, 2018
- “Best College Towns You Can Visit Across America,” CheatSheet, April 29, 2018
- “Best Places to Retire 2018” (fourth consecutive year), Forbes, April 23, 2018
- “Greenest City” Award, Insurify, April 2018
- “25 Best Places to Visit in the Southern USA,” Vacation Idea – Dream Vacation Magazine, March 2018
- #7, “Best College Campuses in America,” Business Insider, March 2018
- #6, “Best College for Sports Fans,” USA Today 10Best, March 2018
- UGA Golf Course, #12 “Top Rated Golf Courses in the US for 2017,” GolfAdvisor.com
- “Best College Football Towns in America” (ranked #2), USA Today Sports, Nov. 17, 2017
- “7 U.S. Cities that are Hipper Than you Think,” Jetsetter, Nov. 1, 2017
- “America’s Coolest Southern Towns,” Jetsetter, Sept. 27, 2017
- “12 Best Music Towns in the Nation,” Expedia, September 25, 2017
- UGA, one of the “South’s Most Beautiful Colleges,” Southern Living, September 2017
- “Underrated food cities in the south,” USA Today, September 18, 2017
- “Best Small Towns in the South for Retirement,” Southern Living, June 2017
- Wildwood Revival, “Nine Southern festivals well worth adding to the calendar,” Garden & Gun, June 15, 2017
- “Prettiest Town in Every State” – The Daily Meal, May 2017
- “Best Places to Retire in 2017” – Forbes
- “2017’s List of Best Places to Retire” – AARP
- #2, “Top 5 Mid-sized South Atlantic Cities,” RewardExpert.com, April 2017
- #3, “South’s Best Breweries, 2017,” Southern Living, April 2017
- #7, 10 “Best Botanical Gardens,” USA Today 10Best, March 31, 2017
- #1, “The 24 coolest towns in the USA,” Matador Network, March 15, 2017
- #3, “The Most Overlooked Cities in the USA,” DK Travel, March 2017
- “3 Reasons Athens Rocks this Spring and Summer,” ExploreGeorgia.org, March 7, 2017
- “Top Spring Gardens Worth Traveling For,” FlipKey, February 15, 2017
- “Why Athens Deserves a Spot on Your Bucket List,” StyleBlueprint.com, January 2017
- “8 Film Festivals Worth the Trip,” ExploreGeorgia.org, January 2017
- “Best Trips 2017,” National GeographicTraveler, December 2016 / January 2017
- Terrapin Brewing Company, Top Brewer in Georgia, RateBeer Best Awards, 2016 & 2017
Many words can be used to describe the Classic City –Athens-: Vibrant, picturesque and most importantly unique. Yes it’s a small college town but is full of life. Small in terms of not having to drive long distances to get to your destination which I believe is essential during residency when all you want in the morning to sleep for few more minutes and in the evening to get home as soon as possible. Ever since I came here, there was always a fun activity going on during the week and definitely over the weekends which includes live music and one-of-a-kind local eats that you can never get enough of. Also, for those who are interested in art and culture like me, Athens can for sure fulfill this interest with it’s beautiful Georgia Museum of Art at the University of Georgia. And whenever you miss the big city, then Atlanta is only an hour and 15 minutes away, an easy and smooth drive.
1270 Prince Avenue
Athens, GA 30606 / USA